Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving Thanks


November 26, 2009

There are a great many things for which I am thankful this Thanksgiving, not the least of which are:

I am thankful for a husband who knows all of my insecurities, shortcomings, and idiosyncrasies, and still loves me in spite of them, or maybe even because of them, with his whole heart.

I am thankful for three amazing children, who are big-hearted, affectionate, and loving human beings. I love the beautiful people they are, and the bright futures I see ahead of them.

I am thankful for the health of my family.

I am thankful for the love and support of all of the members of my extended family, who are so important to me.

I am thankful that my sister and her girls are able to visit often enough that our kids feel like they get to grow up together, and that she and I remain closer than ever.

I am thankful for a beloved group of close friends who make every gathering a homecoming of sorts, and a rejuvenation for the soul.

I am thankful for an amicable partnership with my ex-husband in raising our kids with their best interests at heart.

I am thankful for teachers who have genuine spirits and positive influences as they help guide my children along their educational paths.

I am thankful for a home to live in in this tough economy, and more than enough food to feed my family, and plenty of clothes to keep us warm through the winter.

I am thankful to have a job in a time when the unemployment rate is frighteningly high.

I am thankful for friends at work who make my job a pleasant place to be.

I am thankful for students who make it a joy to go to work most days.

I am thankful for the technology we have that allows us to connect and reconnect with loved ones and friends old and new.

I am thankful to see random acts of kindness, small courtesies, smiles for strangers, and willingness to help those in need still alive and well in our world. Sometimes you have to look for them, but they're there.

I am thankful for a generally positive and optimistic outlook, which helps me choose to seek out the good in circumstances that come my way.




1 comment: