Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Resolutions Are Not the Biggest Things on My Mind

January 1, 2016

As always, I will start out the new year by continuing to write and erase '2015' on every date I scribe for at least the next month.  That's okay--old habits die hard.  And speaking of old habits, December was an interruption of a lifestyle habit I picked up two years ago--walking 10,000 steps per day faithfully (give or take a handful of days). I am finally feeling well and enough recovered to resume that old habit without feeling like I'm pushing myself beyond reason.  Today is as good a day as any to resume.  As can sometimes happen because I'm one who does her walking late at night, my timing was a little off and I didn't quite hit the mark.  I managed to only hit 9,500.  Still, I'm going to count it a victory after relatively little movement, walking-wise, in the month of December.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow to determine if I've overtaxed myself, but I don't think so.  I am enjoying the idea of getting back in gear to regain that part of my fitness routine.

Those of you who know about my December (and November, truth be told), know that the breast cancer diagnosis that sidelined my walking routine is a story I've yet to fully tell, but it's coming.  For now, suffice it to say that my New Year's Resolutions, though they will come, have simply taken a back seat to the gratitude I want to revel in just now for having weathered what could have been a frighteningly tumultuous ride. I know many who fight a much tougher battle than I did--some who won the battle, and some who did not.  I do not for a second take for granted how fortunate I am.  That is really where my thoughts are today.


No comments:

Post a Comment