Monday, April 24, 2017

This Was My Day Today

April 24, 2017

Quite a few of my freshmen have been slacking on getting assignments completed, so I decided we needed to back up, slow down, and have a "make-up" day.  I gave my kids who are all up-to-date an extension activity, and told the students I'd be running down a list of which students were missing big assignments they could still work on for credit.

Me:
I'm missing journals from Allison, Marcos, Julie, and Richard.
I'm missing the Romeo and Juliet essay from Brook, Ed, Marcos, and Richard.

(Looking up)  Hey--if I'm reading your name, make sure you are making a note of the missing assignment. Write it down so you know what all you need to work on.

I'm missing Collection Test Five from Ed.

(Looking up again) Ed--did you make a note of that? Yes? How is that possible, since you don't have anything out on your desk!

I'm missing...(four more assignments missing from various students).

Okay.  Each of those assignment directions are still up on my website, so you can look them up there as a reference if you're not sure how to get started.

Six students (yes, SIX) at my desk, just after I finished going through the lists:
Um..can you tell us which assignments we're missing? We weren't paying attention.

Me:
You're kidding, right?  Even after I just reminded you twice to write down the assignments?

Apparent Student Slacker Spokesperson:
Yeah, we don't know what to do now. So...can you just tell us again?

Also, part of the student follow up:  I don't know how to do the assignment.  I can't find your website. I can't find the assignment on your website. (This last one from the kid who was actually on my website--looking at the actual assignment that he "couldn't find".)  And my favorite: Even though I'm missing a 90 point assignment and a 50 point assignment, I'd rather work on this missing 5 point assignment. Is that okay?

I'm sure you can imagine the conversations that ensued.
As often happens,  3rd period passed on to 7th period what to expect for the day.  Their assessment, according to my 7th period students?  "Watch out. She seems to be in a bad mood for some reason today."

End of the year. Freshmen. Often a charming combination.  Today, not so much.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment