Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I've Got My Dancing Shoes On

September 23, 2009

It's premiere week for the newest season of Dancing With the Stars (can it really be season 9?), and once again, we've got the Tivo on high alert. I used to be a bit of a reality TV snob, to tell the truth; I was above watching THOSE shows. Never saw Big Brother, or Survivor, or Fear Factor, or American Idol, or any of those early run reality series. When I heard that there would be a reality show featuring dancing, however, my ears perked right up. One episode and I was hooked. Although the title 'celebrity' is somewhat loosely defined within the context of the show, there have been some genuinely interesting and charming personalities, and some surprisingly good (as well as train-wreck bad) dancers.

Not only has it been great fun to see who would show up to dance toe-to-toe on the ballroom floor, but it has been an added bonus to get to meet some of the professional dancers who are enjoying a real spotlight on their talents and personalities. They have, over the course of the years, become celebrities in their own right. I also find it refreshing that the judges are able to offer honest and constructive criticism without being rude or mean-spirited, as is the norm at least one other show I can think of off the top of my head.

So how's the line up this season? Well, after a two night round of dancing, we've seen 16 celebrities hit the floor. While I'm not sure I can pick a favorite to win yet, I can tell you that there are three couples I'm going to be rooting for.



1. Donny and Kym--I'm sure if you are anywhere near my age, you remember back to your early youth when Donny and Marie were at the top of their careers. Yes, I was one of the many who had a Donny poster up on my wall. I was going to marry the purple-socked one, if ever I had the opportunity to meet him in person. Almost as exciting as marrying Donny was the prospect of being Marie's sister. I loved her. (Don't judge me--I was twelve.) Oh, I can't tell you how excited I was to find out that Donny was going to take a turn on the dance floor, competing for the silver mirror ball!






2. Kelly and Louis--After last night's show, she really won me over. People expect her to be brash and loud and obnoxious, but she was sweet and hard-working. She really wanted to do well. Her lovely smile showed how proud she was, and how much she had surprised herself with her beautiful performance. When the camera cut to her mom in tears and a proud standing ovation from her dad, I knew the cameraman was manipulating me, but I didn't care. I want this girl to do well!






3. Mark and Melissa--Melissa's fine and all, but really the draw here is Mark. He's my favorite pro--so smooth and charming, and brilliantly talented. When he dances, I can't keep my eyes off of him. I hope they are able to stick it out for many, many weeks.

After last night's performances, I don't expect that any of these favorites of mine will be the first to go. We'll see, though. I'm off to check out tonight's elimination now!

1 comment:

  1. I love Donny and Kym! I htink we must be around the same age :)

    ReplyDelete