Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ice Breaker

August 20, 2013

It's only the second day of school, and already some of my kids are cracking me up.  The first couple of days we do some community-building ice-breakers.  At the same time, the kids are learning my rules, expectations, and general behavioral expectations in the classroom.

Today as we were finishing up our people-search ice-breaker, it was close to the closing bell.  I urged the kids to head back to their seats to sit down before the bell rang.  I told them that it was one of my rules that if there are students not seated when the bell rings, I don't dismiss them.

Student #1:  Why do we have to sit down if we're just getting ready to leave anyway?

Me:  Honestly, it's a little bit of a classroom management thing I do because I'm short.  If you all start standing up, I can't see what all is going on!

Student #2:  She doesn't trust us!  Is it because you don't trust us?

Me:  Trust you?  I don't even know you all yet!

Student #3:  How can you say that?  We just got to know each other.  We just broke ice!

I like these kids already.

No comments:

Post a Comment