Wednesday, November 9, 2011

If I Wrote About You

November 9, 2011

If I wrote that you were the one who convinced me I was capable, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me believe I was unworthy, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I've always been in awe of, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I was always a little afraid of, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who saved me when I needed it, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I thought was embarrassed by me, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who had more faith in me than I ever did, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I wished I could be like, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I never could quite live up to, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who showed me how men should treat women, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who showed me how important friendship was in a relationship, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who showed me how pasion can turn to anger, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who showed me what magic can lie in a person's eyes, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me question my worth, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me believe I was beautiful, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who pushed me to the edge of disaster, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who brought me back from the edge, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I feared would never go, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who filled me with despair, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I thought I deserved, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I had to make my peace with, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made it all worthwhile, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I felt made me whole, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one I wished against hope for, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me realize how strong I am, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me realize how lucky I am, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me question the value of my voice, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me feel my words, my thoughts, could really speak, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me wish I had been able to reach you, would you recognize yourself?
If I wrote that you were the one who made me know that I had touched you, would you recognize yourself?

Would you recognize yourself? Would you see that you were important to me, to who I am, if I wrote about you? Would you see yourself there? Do you know who you are? Do you know who you are in my life story--which role you might have filled? Which roles?

If I wrote the story of my life, and the names were changed to protect the innocent--and the not-so-innocent--, would you know if you were there?

If someone wrote their story about me, would I know it? I sometimes wonder who I am to you--to anyone--in their own life story. I wonder if I would recognize myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment