Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello 2012

January 1, 2012

Some people think that New Year's resolutions are trite, cliched. They think they're doomed to fail by virute of the fact, I presume, that folks feel they have to make 'em even if they're not committed to them. Something of a fantasy wishlist, rather than real, true goals one has to work at in order to see come to fruition. The way I see it, though, is that a resolution is a marker--a starting point. Sometimes the course of the race changes along the way, and sometimes a flood wipes out the path in front of me and I have to find an alternate route, or even an alternate destination. I'm okay with that. If I set a goal, at least I have an initial map--I know where I want to go. And I'm certainly not going to beat myself up if I decide at a later point to turn left instead of right--it just means I'm open-minded and flexible (which are fine traits, if you ask me). When I don't even have a starting point, though, I haven't even gotten up from the couch to join the race. THAT certainly isn't going to get me anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really make resolutions. I try to set GOALS for the year. It works for me!!

    ReplyDelete