Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Transitions Can Be Difficult

 January 19, 2021

Four years ago, a new president took office.  I wasn't happy about it, and honestly was still in shock about it, but it was happening. Though I was disappointed in the outcome of that election, and frankly more than a little frightened and worried about how the administration was going to face the challenge of being able to honor the respect and decorum expected of the office, I was not actually worried about safety on the day of the inauguration. On that day, four years ago, I was worried about our country's future, but I never for a moment was afraid of possible violence and insurgence on the actual day of swearing-in.  

Tomorrow is different. Four years of divisiveness sown in more concrete ways than I've ever seen in my lifetime came to a horrifying flashpoint two weeks ago with the attack on The Capitol.  The hatred inflamed by increasing encouragement of feelings of entitlement and outrage over perceived injustices has led to a thirst for violence and retribution.   Even people I know personally have posted incendiary comments on social media, still refusing to accept the results of the election and gleefully awaiting what they hope will be a hostile take-over on the world stage to keep their candidate in power.  It's like reading the pages of a dystopian novel, but we're seeing it unfold in real life, evidenced by the massive troops deployed to guard over the ceremony--a kind of militaristic preemptive show of might and power that has never before been deemed necessary in order to ensure the safety of the incoming administration.

I hope I am being overly worried, and tomorrow's inauguration will go smoothly, marking the beginning of a new era in our country.  Biden is not without faults, and I am sure I won't agree with every move.  I will continue to watch him and all those leaders who guide our country, and hold him accountable for steering the ship appropriately.  A party affiliation does not give someone a free pass, obviously.  Responsible citizens hold their elected officials to high standards, regardless of which party they belong to.  First and foremost, I expect the leaders of our country to be thoughtful, compassionate, responsive and respectful, and inclusive.  I expect to see humanity.  I have missed that in the past four years.  I only hope that when tomorrow comes, our new president will have the opportunity, without incident or impediment, to prove that he truly has the heart of country at the forefront of his priorities.  Tomorrow I will hold my breath as the President is sworn-in, hoping all precautions to avert any potential uprisings have been successful.  Then, slowly, collectively, it will be time to begin the healing this country desperately needs.  It will be a long, long road ahead.  Time to start the journey.  



No comments:

Post a Comment