Friday, June 24, 2011

A Little Venting (Not the Air Conditioning Vents, 'Cuz Those Don't Work)

June 24, 2011

My van has been operating without air conditioning for at least a couple of months now. It hasn't really been a huge deal, since we have, up until fairly recently, been experiencing a very mild spring. However, we hit the first day of summer--not the one on the school calendar, but the actual one--and suddenly, someone got the memo that it's supposed to be hot. Really hot. Like attempting to break records hot.
I knew I needed to get my air conditioning up and running before the ridiculous Fresno heat really set in, but I was lulled into a sense of complacency. Well, that and a rather unfortunate financial position kept me from dropping the van off at the shop. Unfortunately, not long ago, the van developed another even more worrisome 'character trait'. Brakes that used to operate smoothly, quietly, and compliantly suddenly decided to go on strike. Accelerating? Piece of cake. But slowing down became a grinding, screeching affair--a loud protestation that let me know the brakes were ready for a break. I'm an adventurous type, but rear-ending someone is not on my to-do list for the summer. It was either time for replacement--brake pads and rotors--or I'd have to train my kids in the art of hitting the ground running when exiting the vehicle. Literally.
So replace the brakes we did, with the cash I was hoping to drop on repairing the van's internal atmosphere. Now I'm driving around in 105 degree weather with the windows down, hair blowing in my face (notice how much less sexy that sounds than 'hair blowing in the wind'), dripping with sweat while I drop my kids off at their various destinations. It's not pretty, but it's safe, I suppose.

In a bit of irony, now that the brakes are fixed and the van's air conditioning has moved up to 'next on the list' again, the air conditioning on the house has decided to assert itself. Yes, it appears that the air conditioning in the house, with its uncanny ability to sense that it's time to pay the premium summer prices, has decided to slack off. So guess what? Van's moved down on the list again. House air comes first, then van air. Sneaking up to vie for attention are Doug's car (bleeding power steering fluid like there's no tomorrow), and registration for both vehicles. Not to mention that kid I'm sending off to college in two months.

One step forward, two steps back sometimes, I tell ya.

2 comments:

  1. That just sucks! Sorry, I know your frustration all too well. I'll be praying for you & your family. Keep your head up, sister. There's a lot of us just treading water at the moment.
    Love ya!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about all your problems, like they say when it rains it pours, But i am praying for you all right now. Expect an answer soon.

    ReplyDelete