Monday, December 6, 2010

Heartbroken

December 6, 2010

It it a parent's worst nightmare--my worst nightmare--the thought of losing a child. But it does happen, can happen, in the blink of an eye. My cousin Todd and his wife Paige, I learned this weekend, lost one of their three beautiful children on Saturday in a tragic car accident. Paige and the other two children were taken to a hospital and later were released. Carter, sweet little boy only six years old, was taken to the trauma hospital but did not survive.
I did not know Carter well. He lives in another state, so I only met him once on a visit with extended family. But it doesn't matter. He was family, and he was a little boy, full of life and energy and spirit. My heart grieves for him, and for his sweet and beautiful mama, his daddy, his brother, his sister, his grandma, his aunts, and all of his family and friends who knew his smile and his laughter. I can't fathom the weight of his loss on all of those people, I can't begin to imagine how his mom and dad will get up and make their way through each successive day, feeling the void left behind. But they will. They will go on. For themselves, and for Cooper and Maggie, who have lost their brother. And for Carter. Especially for Carter. I pray for the strength for them to get through these next few days, and then every one after that, one day at a time. I pray they'll find themselves at a place where they can remember Carter's life and smile through their pain.

Makes me want to go hug my kids right now, because you just never know. These children we've been given are a gift, and much as we'd like, we have no idea how long they are ours to keep.

Rest in peace, Carter. You are loved and will be remembered always.
June 15, 2004-December 4, 2010

5 comments:

  1. How incredibly and painfully heartbreaking. I can't even imagine. Prayers to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart hurts for your family Paige.
    I want to hug you tight and cry with you!
    May God bring you Peace and Comfort you not only today, but always.
    And Cooper said it best... You WILL have a Welcome Back Carter party some day... this is only temporary.
    Michelle Reynolds Brown
    Allen High

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya Gruver ChildersDecember 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM

    My mom, Anna Hunt, had Carter and Maggie in her class at School for little children. I have heard stories that she would tell about something they said or did in class. She would always say their full name...Carter Mayes said..."you are a pretty lady". Maggie Mayes has that special look, she is naturaly such a pretty little girl. I knew the name sounded famialar, but I never put it together until it was posted on facebook. I went to school with Todd, never met Paige, but I read something I want to share with them. "God with all the hurt and pain I'm felling, you are my only hope and I'm trusting that you'll be my strength and my healer. I need you!" Your family is in my prayers. My heart goes out to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eye caught this post over in your sidebar -
    my heart and prays go out to your cousin Todd, Paige, their children and all the extended family.

    Unless you've walked that path it is beyond comprehension what depths grief will take you to. I imagine it's to Hell and back, more than once.

    They will be in my prayers.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just reading this....thank you donna...today has been difficult. i needed to know he's missed.

    ReplyDelete