Friday, January 1, 2021

Looking Forward

 January 1, 2021

A great many of us are taking a little time today to reflect on the massive shift that has happened in our world since the last New Year's Day rolled around.  No one could possibly have predicted the ways in which our reality has changed due to Covid-19.  And yet some things remain the same--the annual taking of inventory and focused mindset of looking forward is still a good way to reset and mindfully, purposefully forge into the year ahead.  I do know, more this year than any other, that I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that I can create a vision that includes the possibility for positive growth and change, and yes, flexibility.

I have told my students before that a goal without a plan is just a wish.  Many New Year's resolutions become just that--and then we spend months beating ourselves up about failing to accomplish those things we wished for.  Another reason for 'failure'?  Sometimes, the goal should change, but we become fixed on the original plan.  This is where flexibility and reflection come into play.  My main plan, then, is to spend a little time at the beginning of each week checking in with myself and preparing for the upcoming week to set my sights on the things that will help me move closer to my goals, and to reflect on whether or not the road ahead is still the desired destination.  Setting a goal at the beginning of the year to be achieved by year's end is a large, looming mountain in the distance.  Setting my sights on the next marker along the path seems like a more manageable way to keep my feet on the road ahead.

I will likely still play a little bit of a numbers game--number of pounds I'd like to lose, or numbers of books I'd like to read, or numbers of miles I'd like to walk--but that won't be my guiding force.  They'll take a little bit of a backseat to the purposeful mindset of focusing on the journey, rather than the end destination.  Being kind to myself, appreciating who and where I am in the moment, fostering my love of reading and writing and all things creative, and continuing to build and maintain connections with people who are a meaningful part of my life--these are the elements of self-care that can sometimes fall victim to day-to-day mundane tasks and mindless routine.  Making a plan to check in with myself at least once a week to reflect, express gratitude, and right my sail or shift my path when necessary--this is the way I intend to hold myself accountable and look toward a better year in the months ahead, no matter what unexpected and unforeseen twists and turns those months may hold.



No comments:

Post a Comment