Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

November 29, 2010

Despite being sick for nearly all of vacation, we had a great Thanksgiving. Lisa, Devin, and Bailey came up (Taylor was with her dad in Oakland), and Jim and Kathryn joined us for our feast. Ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, sparkling apple cider--the works. We ate til we couldn't eat anymore. Not long after, we went back for more. During dinner, I asked everyone to say something they were thankful for, as I do every Thanksgiving. Our responses this year?

Bailey--I'm thankful for parents, because they get you stuff.

Devin--I'm thankful for everybody I know, even the mean ones, because they've taught me I can face them.

Danielle--I'm thankful for food, family, and when cousins and aunts come. I'm also thankful for pizza and softball. The emphasis is on the FOOD.

Taylor (by phone)--I'm thankful for all my family and friends.

Nicholas--I am thankful for this wonderfully wonderful dinner.

Kathryn--I'm thankful for good teachers, because I can learn so much, and for this day because it's been good so far.

Brianna--I'm thankful for everyone being able to be together, and not just getting together once a year.

Lisa--I'm thankful for family and our extended definition of that, and that we can all be together for the holidays.

Doug--I'm thankful that in these tough economic times, we have too much food, rather than too little.

Jim--I'm thankful for economic easements instated by the government.

Donna--I am thankful for our family, and how we are blessed with not just the family we are born into but the ones we have chosen to be family as well.


On Friday Lisa and I took the kids to the Oh Wow Nickel Arcade, and later to the pool room. Saturday Laura came up to join us, and we converged on the baseball field at our neighborhood park for the annual Mayes Girls Thanksgiving Softball game. I think this might have been my favorite softball game so far, since it started raining on us during the middle of the second inning. Softball in the rain is far more desirable than our ill-timed 100+ degree game at the Fourth of July celebration! That evening we all gathered for one of our famous family and friends pizza nights, and then the adults all headed out to Thai Fusion for a little karaoke. What a blast! We closed the place down, as we have been occasionally known to do, and then Doug, Laura, and I came back home and talked well into the night.

Although we missed the members of our family who weren't with us, I am so thankful that so many of us are able to get together and really have fun. I love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment