Friday, March 11, 2022

Meeting Someone New

March 11, 2022 Meeting someone new is exciting and interesting, getting to learn all the intricasies, idiosyncrasies, and nuances of someone new and important in your life. What works? What doesn't? What's important to them, and what drives them. How do they prioritize their time? What are the things and people they value? It's all an adventure, and usually a pretty wonderful one. Part of that exploration involves meeting people who are important in their life and introducing them to the people who matter to you. That part can be pretty daunting, actually, because what if they don't like you? What if you don't fit into their friend group, or their family finds you not good enough? Tonight I got to meet the parents. They invited us to join them for dinner, and although I was excited to meet them, I was also a little nervous, of course. His parents were super sweet and welcoming, and I think the conversation flowed smoothly and easily. Hopefully they thought so too! I was actually a really nice evening--a bit of a milestone, I guess. One of my girlfriends asked me when was the last time I had met the parents of a man I was interested in. Oh my goodness--Bill's parents were the last parents I met, which was about a year before we got married when I was still only 19. (For those keeping track, I am now 54. Meeting the parents for the first time was a LONG time ago!)

No comments:

Post a Comment