Friday, January 7, 2022

In Which the Omicron Variant Continues to Wreak Havok

 January 7, 2022

We went back to school this week after winter break.  I wasn't quite ready; no one I know was.  I know everyone keeps saying this year is the hardest year ever in education, and people are tired of hearing it.  But Y'ALL--it is the hardest year ever.  I mean to-your-bones-weary-without-really-being-able-to-put-your-finger-on-why hard.  It's not just one thing; it's ALL OF IT.

Just one of those reasons?  Omicron is digging its heels in deep here in the valley (and everywhere).  CDC's newest guidelines are clear as mud, making them sound like a terrifyingly complex sixth grade math word problem. (If Sally went to a New Year's party and her neighbor who was there for 14 minutes later tested positive for Covid, how many days does Sally have to quarantine if she has only 3 of the 15 possible symptoms but her asymptomatic brother, who didn't attend the party, tested positive 4 days after New Year's?) The fallout?  Upon return to school, I have had approximately 20% of my class absent in every single class every day this week.  You know what that means?  Not only am I teaching my classes, but I will also be fielding emails and Independent Study contracts and scheduling make up quizzes and catching up on absent work turned in at all times of the day and night on Google Classroom for the next couple of weeks at least.  That's if I'm lucky.  It could go longer, obviously.  

I'm used to helping my absent students play catch up, but when it's 20% of your kids, all of that extra behind the scenes (read: after hours) work feels like an extra part-time job.  Because it is.  Kids who miss out on initial instruction will need more support, more help.  And they deserve it.  Covid isn't their fault any more than it is mine. Or the school's.  But yeah, it's hard.  Whew.  

No comments:

Post a Comment