Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Anastasia

February 22, 2022
Tonight I got to head out to the theater once again to see a production of Anastasia.  This used to be one of Brianna's very favorite movies when she was young.  Weirdly, although she watched it a hundred times with me, I didn't remember much about the plotline.  I remembered, of course, that it was about the Romanovs and the daughter who survived the attack on her family, but beyond that I hadn't held onto the details of the story.  I think Bree and I watched it so often that I got bored by it and blocked it out.  The show has some pretty dark moments, but lots of comedy, too.  I thought the actors were all very strong, especially their singing voices.  Unlike when I went to see Waitress last month, I didn't have any trouble understanding the lyrics during the musical numbers.  What was really incredible, though, was the digital sets.  I don't think I've ever seen a show that relied so heavily on projected scenes, but the detail and quality were so beautiful and intricate that it definitely enhanced the production in a very different way than a traditional set might have.  I would imagine that a traditional stage set for a production like this would be incredibly expensive and difficult to transport, but the projected screens allowed for a lot more flexibility.  Done poorly, it would have detracted from the experience, but the quality here was stunning.  Couple that with a charming date, and it all made for a very lovely evening indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment