Monday, February 7, 2022

Olympics

 February 7, 2022

The Winter Olympics are happening in Bejing right now.  Believe it or not, I haven't watched a minute of it.  It's not that I'm not interested; I have watched figure skating in particular for many years, as well as speed skating, skiing, and even curling (though I never really got the thrill of that one in particular).  However, this year I am pretty divested.  Maybe it's because the pandemic turned my priorities elsewhere, perhaps it's because I don't really recognize many of the competitors this year, or even because the games are fraught with political strife.  But really, I think it might be because I am used to watching them with someone, getting invested in the hype and excitement with another.  It's not that I was only interested because someone else was, but that it was something we did together and enjoyed.  Watching alone simply doesn't have the same appeal.  (Rest assured, however, that swimming and gymnastics during the summer Olympics will never be sidelined.  Y'all, those events are in a class all by themselves and are not subject to any other outside influences.)

No comments:

Post a Comment