Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Everyone is Just Doing their Best

 February 9, 2022

In my night class tonight, one of my students approached my desk to speak with me before we got things started. She didn't even get two words out before her voice started breaking and tears sprung to her eyes.  She was embarrassed about being so vulnerable and emotional, and apologized several times.  She said she hadn't quite finished the homework because she had suddenly had to find another place to live, since she'd had a falling out in her current situation.  She had finally figured out a temporary solution, but the week's turmoil had taken precedence over her classwork for the week.  Poor kid! I tried to reassure her and let her know it was okay and that I would grant her an extension.  I also told her I was proud of her for speaking up and communicating her situation.  Housing instability is no joke, and interestingly, it's exactly what we are reading about in the memoir we just started.

There are people who might say that this student is taking advantage of my kind heart, or that she needs to learn to not let 'life' interfere with her work, which in this case is school.  I believe in learning time management, and adhering to deadlines, and adjusting to adversity.  But you know what?  If I was having a really rough time at home with something, if I came to my principal and told him, I would be given leniency and grace.  I think it's a myth that some people perpetuate that students all just need to deal with life and still maintain their school obligations.  The reality is that real life is messy, problematic, and filled with barriers to success.  And while we do need to figure out how to work within some of the things that make life hard, we also all know that sometimes giving a little leeway is all someone needs to restore their faith in their own ability to succeed.  I hope my student recognized that I recognized that it's okay to be vulnerable and to reach out--that one assignment or one rough week doesn't define you as a student or as a person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment