Friday, February 18, 2022

The Beach Boys

February 18, 2022
When Danielle was younger, her very favorite music was the songs of the Beach Boys.  She was all about them.  Now as a young adult, her tastes are quite varied: rap, Christian, alternative, pop, and show tunes among them.  Regardless, I think there will always be a little nostalgia associated with the Beach Boys.  This past Christmas I stumbled upon a tour date for them that had them playing about an hour away from where she lives, so I decided that would make a good Christmas gift for her.

They were playing in Rancho Mirage, and although I left home with way more than enough time to get down to Riverside to pick her up and head out to the concert, traffic was so bad that I was really afraid we weren't going to make it in time for the start of the concert.  Fortunately, we did, even though the journey down south took me at least two more hours than it should have.  

One of my favorite things about hanging out with Danielle is that that kid is just funny.  She cracks me up all the time.  The concert was good (but man, are those dudes old!), but even better was our running comedic commentary.  There was just so much to comment on!  Danielle also discovered that, oddly, almost any song will work to do the Macarena.  So naturally, we sang, danced, laughed, and created a running dialogue that only improved the performance on stage.  I'm pretty sure all the other people in the venue that saw us (average age: approximately 80) thought we were a little off-kilter, but that only heightened the amusement for us.  I'm so happy that all of my kids like to spend this kind of time hanging out with their mom.  We always find the best ways to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment