Thursday, January 4, 2018

Old Photographs

January 4, 2018

Doug's dad added him to a Facebook group dedicated to the extended Smith family, and we spent a little time digging into old photos posted there.  We got a little lost in 'meeting' cousins, uncles and aunts, and countless other members of his family that he's never met before.  It was also a little time machine to a younger Fritz and Estelle--photos of his mom and dad from 50 years ago.  It's so fascinating to be able to visit the past in this way.  I've always been so intrigued by old photos, especially (but not limited to) photos of people I know.  It encourages me to get back into scanning old Mayes family photos to share with all of my siblings.  I know my own kids get frustrated that I have always taken so many pictures of them, but I know one day they'll be thrilled to sit with their own kids to share their past with them.  I desperately wish there were more pictures of me and my brothers and sisters in our childhood.  So many of them were destroyed by my dad when he and my mom divorced--his way of lashing out at her.  I want to make sure I preserve and share the ones that survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment