Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Reset/Refocus

January 3, 2018

I've spent a little time over these past couple of days reflecting on ways to reset my focus and priorities for the coming year (as many of us do to mark the new year), and I'll talk about some of those priorities here now and again.  One of the areas I really want to focus on this year is not taking on blame for other people's choices.  I am all about taking responsibility for my own choices, but sometimes as a mom, as a wife, as a teacher...well, as just about any of the roles I play, I can have a tendency to feel responsibility for other people's choices as well.  You know--if only I had.../if only I tried.../if only I said...then maybe they wouldn't have made those choices.  I end up beating myself up for other people's decisions.  At the end of the day, I suppose it's a weird sense of ego-centrism to think that one person has so much pull that they can be in charge of everyone else's decisions, right?  Mind you, I absolutely believe one person can make a difference in the lives of others, and I will continue to live my life in that vein, but I will work hard to stop blaming myself for things that are outside my control.

No comments:

Post a Comment