Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Probably Not My Calling

January 23, 2018

Imagine a world where folks looked to me for tech support.  Now stop laughing--it's not THAT ridiculous! (A little ridiculous, yes--I'll give you that.) 

I went over to my grandma's apartment to help her fill out some paperwork for her new health care.  She had decided she was fed up with Kaiser and wanted to switch to a new health network, but that comes with a lot of paperwork that is a bit confusing, so she asked me to sit with her while she filled it out.  (Paperwork I can do.  My life is filled with paper--I'm a teacher for goodness sake.  Paper is my superpower!)

While I was over there, she asked me to help figure out how to get her computer reconnected to her internet.  Somehow the wires on the modem became compromised.  I tried to be Joe Tech and run some troubleshooting, and look at the wires to see if could manage an easy fix.  I would have felt like I saved the day.  Mostly, though, I just clicked on a few buttons and wiggled a few wires and looked relatively inept.  I actually think I figured out what the problem was--maybe--but I needed an additional cable.  I'm heading back over there on Thursday, and I'm really crossing my fingers that this is the fix I'm looking for.  Technological savvy is not my strong suit, but I'm somehow hoping to save the day anyway and look like a genius (at least to my grandma!)

No comments:

Post a Comment