Sunday, January 7, 2018

Walking Late at Night

January 8, 2018

I am the owner of a Fitbit--I have been a fairly active walker for the past three years.  I know at my age and in my shape, walking 4-5 miles a day is a good, consistent part of a routine to keep myself in decent physical health.  That being said, I am a night owl, especially during vacation.  Left to my own devices, I'll sleep in until anywhere between 8 and 10, but stay up until 2 a.m. or so.  So I like to walk at night.  Typically I walk around 11 at night.  Being a woman living in these times, I try to be as careful as possible--I choose paths where street lights are in good repair, I scan parked cars to be sure there aren't people quietly waiting there for unsuspecting passersby, and I avoid large bushes or obstructions behind which someone might be lurking, and certainly do not walk on my own around the perimeter of the neighborhood park after hours.  I travel with my phone and and air horn or alarm to alert others in case of danger.  I don't love that I have to take all these precautions, but I know that if I choose to walk at night.  These are likely not precautions that most men even have to think about, but I know I don't have the luxury of being oblivious to potential dangers.  As I am walking, then, late at night, hyper-aware of shadows and the ever-present possibility of threat, let me assure you, random single man slowing your dark vehicle to a crawl behind me--your 'good intent' to shout helpful safety advice did not make me feel safer or appreciative.  Drive on!

No comments:

Post a Comment